Sunday, February 20, 2011

Wli Falls

Yesterday, we took a three hour bus ride to Wli Falls. One of the largest and more picture-esque waterfalls in all of Ghana, Wli Falls towers high over a small, shallow pool. Only a forty-five minute hike from the bus, we crossed eight bridges over the pool’s outlet. The forest was similar to the rain forest that we had seen in Kakum but a bit less well preserved as Wli is not yet a protected area or at least did not appear that way. The soil was the darkish black that characterizes the lack of nutrients in the rain forest dirt.

We came around a corner and up a small incline, and there Wli was in all of her glory. It was much larger than I had initially thought. My camera barely got the entire height of the falls into a single shot. The waterfall was much larger than I had been expecting.

The water was cold although not terribly off compared to the hostel shower water. Walking into the water, I was greeted by a stony bottom although as we got deeper, it became softer and a tad squishy. Approaching the falls, I surprised by the strong breeze although with the height that the water falls from, I suppose it was to be expected. Getting closer, the wind became infused with water droplets. Closer still, I could barely see as the wind and water were emanating such force. Finally, I was underneath the waterfall. Unlike some waterfalls, it did not hurt but one could certainly feel its power evaporate into one’s body, especially when a particularly power more or less chunk of water would hit an unsuspecting swimmer. I was surprised that even right at the base of the falls, the water was only waste deep. After the hike through the muggy heat, the swim was beyond refreshing.

All too soon, we had to trek back. Wli Fall is an attraction which I will certainly return to although early in the morning to enjoy some quiet. I would have also enjoyed making the three hour hike to the upper falls which I got a slight glimpse of as we drove in. I would appreciate it even more if I could camp there. I am surprised Wli Falls is not protected as Kakum or the castles were. It would certainly be a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment