Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Power

During my dance class, the power went out. It has happened several times since I have been here and my dance class continued without interruption. I took my Australian friend for a bite to eat at my new favorite breakfast place that serves iced coffee and pancakes with Nutella. Per yesterday, my first time eating there, it was so good!

I came back to my room, showered up and got ready for the day. I put water into my electric tea kettle and turned it on. Since it takes about a minute to boil water (a record beaten only by the JetBoil), I waited for it to heat up while I looked for my instant coffee. When I opened the bag to pour some into my mug, I realized the tea kettle was failing miserably at its job as in it was not on. I bought the thing barely two weeks ago after negotiating intensely for a one cedis price cut. Shortly after purchasing it, red paint marks indicated it was used and not new as I had expected. The anger boiled up as I checked that it was plugged all the way in, the outlet was turned on (all Ghanaian outlets have on/off switches to save power), and even moved it to the adjacent outlet in hopes of getting the kettle to work. I plugged in my computer and the little blue light failed to appear. Then, it dawned on me. The ceiling fan was off which meant that the power was still out and my anger vanished.

As I was about to post this, the power went out again. We are having a wicked storm, thunder, lightning, and driving rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment