Sunday, February 6, 2011

Foreign Service Officer Exam (FSOE)

For those of you who do not know, my ultimate career aspiration is to become a Foreign Service Officer—henceforth FSO—with the Department of State (State). Getting there is quite difficult and I will discuss the first obstacle, the Foreign Service Officer Exam. The difficulty of this exam is legendary. In the past, Mensa members and other designated geniuses have taken the exam just for fun.

Registering for the test is essentially filling out a job application. After filling out a name, address and blood type (kidding), one must select a career track or cone. State groups their generalist FSO’s into five job categories or cones; management, consular, political, economic, and public diplomacy.

To the surprise of no one, I want to be a political officer. The first few years of this track involves mainly work in the consular section, approving or not approving of visa applicants. Many people joke that political officers all want to be Ambassadors. My opinion is that it is too early to speculate.

The test begins with the Job Knowledge section, consisting primarily of multiple choice questions relating to math, geography, economics, communications, management, USG (US Government) and structure, and history (US and World). The questions different depending on the career cone selected. I will have 40 minutes to answer 60 questions.

The Biographical section asks mainly personal questions and exploring your background. It has been compared to a job interview format. There are 75 questions in 40 minutes.

English Expression requires me to think as an English teacher might and pick out the proper grammar in multiple choice questions. I read The Elements of Style in preparation although I think I will be okay on this section. I will have 50 minutes to answer 65 questions.

The Written section gives me 30 minutes to compose an essay on one of three topics. I have given this one some practice today as I was unsure of how I would perform. Using the five paragraph method; an introduction taking a clear position, three body paragraphs discussing three examples and a stunning conclusion tying everything together.

The test is now entirely computerized which is a new phenomenon at least for me. All preceding tests I have taken were written out on actual paper with old fashioned pens and pencils. I will also be taking the test inside Embassy Accra which should be a rather interesting setting.

This concludes my discussion of the Foreign Service Officer Exam. Before beginning the test, State mandates that I sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement which prevents me from divulging any specifics on the exam. Discussion of those specifics in public has led to State terminating the candidacy of prospective officers. Thus, I am unable to answer questions relating to the material. However, I may post something on how well I did when I get my score.

If you curious about the test, the Christian Science Monitor has a neat quiz. (http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Foreign-Policy/2011/0127/Are-you-smarter-than-a-US-diplomat-Take-our-Foreign-Service-Exam/US-History)

No comments:

Post a Comment