Tuesday, January 11, 2011

In the beginning...

One week and I will be on a plane, en route to Accra, Ghana with a scheduled return for the 30th of May. The implications of such a statement have been slow to encourage preparation as I have packed little. A packing list has also failed to materialize. Somewhat strange, one would think that I would have my bags packed a month in advance, somehow curing a sense of excitement that the day of departure would never come.

However, I did begin medicating myself in an attempt to destroy malaria. Doxycycline Hyclate, taken once daily should prevent any contraction of this lovely disease. Boys and girls, one should always read the directions as I misread a 2 for a 7, beginning the regiment 5 days early. Oh well, I have a rather large stash of these horse shaped pills so one can only laugh it off.

Other preparations included the acquisition of a new camera. I am now a proud owner of a Canon Ti2, a top notch digital SLR. The photos are absolutely stunning (ie the pill picture). Thus, documentation of my four months in Ghana will be in 18 megapixels. Tips and suggestions on use of such a device are always appreciated. For the copycats out there, imitation is the best form of flattery so check out Butterflyphoto for the best deal.

I received some emails from the program (run by The College of Brockport, SUNY) and the excusions were mentioned! My group will be making treks to Togo, a small neighboring country and the Volta region, home to the world's largest resivoir which provides much of Ghana's electricity. Kumasi and Environs is also on the agenda as well as well another trip to Wli Falls and Akosombo. That makes for three offical group trips total. I will try to take a few on my own, Bamako, Mali if I can get housing there or Cote d'Ivoire although this country may be off limits.

I should probably begin working on my to do list as there is much to prepare.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment