Tuesday, January 18, 2011

7110 Miles

It's time to fly! Or rather almost. I figured I would post my itinerary as those of you who know me well know that aviation is a topic which I find most fascinating.

Tuesday
Flight 7107 on United Express
7:30p Depart Buffalo (BUF)
8:41p Arrive at Washington Dulles (IAD)
Aircraft: Bombardier CRJ-200
283 miles
1h 10m

Flight 924 on United Airlines
10:05p Depart Washington Dulles (IAD)
Wednesday
10:15a Arrive at London Heathrow (LHR)
Aircraft: Boeing 777-200
3671 miles
7h 10m

Flight 924 on British Airways
2:40p Depart London Heathrow (LHR)
9:20p Arrive at Accra (ACC)
Aircraft: Boeing 777-200ER
3155 miles
6h 20m

While sold as a United Express flight, it is actually operated by Atlantic Southeast Airlines, a regional airline owned by Skywest, one of the largest regional airlines. Thus, I will be on one of those tiny jets, a Bombardier CRJ-200, build by our friends north of the border along with as many as forty-nine other passengers. With any luck, I will land at Dulles on time and in spite of what looks to be icy and snowy weather.

At Dulles, I will track down the big Boeing with should take me across the pond. Originally, I would have boarded a 767 which was to take me non-stop to Accra from Washington but for reasons known only to United, that flight was canceled and I was rerouted through the bowels of London. Only a few years, no major American airline flew to Africa, avoiding the continent like the plague. A few years ago however, Delta realized that there was money to be made and last year, United came to the same conclusion. Luckily, I will take advantage of the non-stop on the return home.

Once in London, I will track down some chow and a good beer, having some four hours to kill. It is here where I worry that my checked bag will fail to make the trek from United's plane at Terminal 1 to BA's plane at Terminal 5. It is why I have a carry on with necessary essentials.

Taking off from London, I have a day flight to Accra which should provide some interesting sights such as the Mediterranean and the Sahara. Views however depend on whether I get a window seat as I do not yet have a seat assignment for this leg. With any luck and barring any snarl ups, weather related or otherwise, I will touch down in Ghana at 9:20p, Wednesday evening, most likely as an exhausted wreck which accounts for roughly 7110 miles across three continents.

Thus, I will likely try to post sometime later this week. Ghana, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment