Friday, April 8, 2011

Dear Togo: Welcome Matt

While dear Ghana has treated me well, insulated really from the realities of many of her 53 countries which I think may have contributed to my own vulnerabilities, I think that it may be time to expand my horizons. Abidjan is sadly out of commission thus nearer by Togo, yes you my dear Togo, may be a good option. Early Thursday morning, I acted on that impulse, finding Madina’s tro-tro to Aflao, Ghana which is just across the border from Lome, your capital. The ride across Ghana’s coastal plain was thankfully quick abite rough. My travel buddies were unable to resist dear Togo’s advances and had left a day ahead of me. My goal was to meet them at the Hotel de Galion at 12 pm noon on Thursday. Luckily dear Togo and despite many potential hurdles, this went off with out a hitch as after waiting in the hotel cafĂ©, my travel mates found me enjoying a top notch omelette, the best I have had in Africa.

However Togo, your welcome matt stole 40 bucks from me. That was most mean and certainly got our relationship off on the wrong foot. Your scheme strongly suggests that an insecure obruni travelling by his stony lonesome utilize the kindly trans-border services of a friendly guide. I changed money what I am sure was a crummy rate.

Then, I followed the guide to Ghana immigration where the guide disappeared to look for a taxi which should have raised a red flag. I filled out dear Ghana's forms, my passport was scanned and information entered into a computer; and I added to my collection of passport stamps. I proceeded to your own customs facilities which were less technologically advanced as my passport was stamped and my name entered into your aging ledger by hand. Your unfamiliarity with a UN passport (complete with UN blue cover) almost denied a Nigerian UN representative entrance but we both made it through.

Though your guide, you informed me that your machine would see my foreign currency and that I should hide it between my cedis. Another red flag should have sounded the alarm as the border services was not even computerized but alas, the guide managed to slip away some 40 bucks and 10 cedis from me, the latter through a tip which was a kick in the pants. I realized my loss only when one of my travel buddies mentioned it me later. So my dear Togo, we have gotten off on the wrong foot at the very least. This may impede our relationship developing much beyond a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment