Friday, April 15, 2011

Addiction

Alright, I suppose I should admit it. I am addicted not to alcohol (although this rosé from Argentina is quite good), nor I am addicted to medication (I just take one malaria pill each day, not any time I feel like it). Rather, I cannot get enough of Ghana’s chocolate bars. For those of you that know me well, I have a mouth full of sweet-teeth. Much like Albany, Ghana lacks the sweet tooth culture of dedicated desert shops, icy coffee drinks, and a lack of convenience stores that sell a plethora of candy bars. Granted I can still get Snickers, Twix and a few others on occasion, even more from high grocery stores like Max Mart and Shop Rite. And while FanIce carts selling vanilla ice cream in a plastic sachet package are a nice treat (and for about $0.35), it is unable to quench my thirst for sweets.

Kingsbite Milk Chocolate, by Golden Tree and manufactured with Ghanaian cocoa in nearby Tema, simply melts in my mouth. Eating only half of the bar is rarely an option. It does not help that they are widely available, even on the streets (their asking price of 4 cedis is an outrageous, I do not pay more than 2 cedis, 50 pesawas). I walk by the convenience store that sells them every day. I get craving while deep into campus and wander aimlessly in search of chocolate amid the sea of women selling bananas and groundnuts (peanuts) at a pittance.

I am not sure what I will do when I get home. I suppose taking the best girlfriend in the world to Aletheas’ will help, in particular their selection of dark chocolate and dreamy ice cream sundaes. I will buy a bunch to bring back as they do not melt easily in heat (Ghanaian feature). When that runs out and I am busy at some sort of summer job, I do not know what I will do. Maybe Starbucks has the cure, I think they make chocolate now right? I have to maintain my Gold Card status somehow!

No comments:

Post a Comment